BRISTOL, Tenn. (June 20, 2015) – Kalitta Motorsports, the nitro-fueled, four-car NHRA drag racing team based in Ypsilanti, Mich., has completed qualifying for the Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway in Bristol, Tenn. Results and quotes follow.
Doug Kalitta – Driver of the Mac Tool Top Fuel Dragster:
- Q1: 3.856 sec., 273.94 mph
- Q2: 3.876 sec., 313.44 mph
- Q3: 3.809 sec., 318.62 mph
- Q4: 3.750 sec., 329.50 mph
No. 2 Qualifier
J.R. Todd – Driver of the Kalitta Air Top Fuel Dragster:
- Q1: 3.859 sec., 316.45 mph
- Q2: 3.790 sec., 318.62 mph
- Q3: 5.927 sec., 107.78 mph
- Q4: 3.865 sec., 314.46 mph
No. 9 Qualifier
Del Worsham – Driver of the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car:
- Q1: 4.137 sec., 302.48 mph (Two bonus points for the second quickest run of the session.)
- Q2: 4.034 sec., 319.07 mph (Two bonus points for the second quickest run of the session.)
- Q3: 4.072 sec., 313.00 mph (Two bonus points for the second quickest run of the session.)
- Q4: 4.006 sec., 322.58 mph
No. 4 Qualifier
Alexis DeJoria – Driver of the Patrón XO Café Incendio Toyota Camry Funny Car:
- Q1: 5.226 sec., 143.84 mph
- Q2: 4.075 sec., 309.42 mph
- Q3: No run; parachutes deployed on line
- Q4: 4.025 sec., 314.90 mph
No. 5 Qualifier
First Round Competition:
2) Doug Kalitta v. 15) Terry McMillen
9) J.R. Todd v. 8) Brittany Force
4) Del Worsham v. 13) Chad Head
5) Alexis DeJoria v. 12) Tony Pedregon
Doug Kalitta, driver of the Mac Tools Top Fuel Dragster: “I am happy with the consistent performance of the Mac Tools dragster. Statistically, this is one of my best tracks and I plan on adding more round wins on tomorrow.
J.R. Todd, driver of the Kalitta Air Top Fuel Dragster: “Two solid passes to start the weekend, and then we learned a lot on Saturday for the race. Looking forward to putting the bad luck behind us and going rounds tomorrow in this Kalitta Air dragster.”
Del Worsham, driver of the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car: “The entire DHL Toyota team has been on it all weekend. We have a very consistent Camry and the entire team looks to go deep tomorrow.”
ESPN TV Schedule:
- 06/20 Qualifications – 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. EST (ESPN2)
- 06/21 Eliminations – 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. EST (ESPN) – LIVE Broadcast
Times and dates subject to change.
Sunday’s eliminations begin at 12:00 p.m. EST.
Times and dates subject to change.
Konnekt with Kalitta Motorsports:
For more info about Kalitta Motorsports including exclusive content such as videos, photos and more, please visit #KalittaStrong online:
- Website: www.teamkalitta.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/TeamKalitta
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/TeamKalitta
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/TeamKalitta
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/TeamKalitta
About Kalitta Motorsports:
Based in Ypsilanti, Mich., Kalitta Motorsports is a Top Fuel and Funny Car drag racing team in the NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) Mello Yello Drag Racing Series. The team was founded and is owned by drag racing icon Connie “the Bounty Hunter” Kalitta. For more than 50 years, Connie has been involved in the sport as a driver, tuner, and an owner. Kalitta Motorsports is one of the most successful teams in the history of auto racing with five world championships and over 50 national event titles in five different professional drag racing sanctioning bodies since it was established by Connie in 1959.
Del Worsham drives the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car for Team Kalitta. Alexis DeJoria pilots the Tequila Patrón XO Café Incendio Toyota Camry Funny Car. J.R. Todd drives the Kalitta Air Top Fuel dragster while Connie’s nephew, Doug Kalitta, pilots the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster. Connie serves as head tuner for all Team Kalitta entries. He is assisted by co-crew chiefs Jon Oberhofer and Nick Boninfante on the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car, by Tommy DeLago and Glen Huszar on the Tequila Patrón XO Café Incendio Toyota Camry Funny Car, and by Jim Oberhofer on the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster. Connie serves as crew chief on the Kalitta Air Top Fuel dragster.
Associate sponsors on Kalitta Motorsports’ race cars include Justice Brothers, Patrón XO Café Incendio, Phoenix Fuel Converter, Red Line Oil, SealMaster, Summit Racing Equipment, Technicoat Companies, TMS Titanium, Toyota and Ziebart.